Monday, January 29, 2018

REVELATIONS

Yup, believe it or not, I'm updating the blog. Sort of. I mean, I've lost so much ground in the past 8 months or so, that there's just too much to jot down here. It's my fault. I make no excuses. Okay, so one excuse...

Dear brothers and sisters in horror, I've learned a very important lesson that has taken me the larger part of my life to understand; money cannot buy happiness. We've heard it all our lives. So much that it's become a cliche to those of us in the working class. Maybe it's to make us feel better about not having everything we've ever dreamed of. Maybe it's an old saying to tell your kids because you can't afford to take them to Disneyland every year. Maybe it's something that rich people made up to make the people who have to labor for their money feel like they're one of us.

Or maybe it's actually the truth.

I've learned the hard way, that it's true in my own life. A few months shy of 1 year ago, I set our to promote within the company that I work for. I did it for the wrong reasons and I didn't feel good about it from the start. I justified it as nervousness because I knew that I could do the job better than others that had come before me. More than anything, the allure of making more money pulled me into it. More security for my family was the driving factor, but I liked the idea of being able to buy more of the things I enjoy. None of these things made my life of my family's life actually better. In fact, it's made it much, much worse. I'm more miserable now that I've ever been and I have more now than I've ever had. Taking a promotion has meant that my career has now taken a front seat to everything I love. It's become a mandatory obsession. It's taken my spare time, family time...hell, who am I kidding? It's taken ALL of my time. I don't get time for the things I enjoy anymore. Specifically for this audience, I don't get to watch horror movies, record, update the blog, or my precious horror journal. To be honest, I could make the time. At least to update the blog anyway. But truth be told, all I want to do is sleep or lie around if I'm not reporting on every little thing or fielding phone calls at 2 AM.

That's the background. That's my excuse. Now here's what happens today and moving forward--I have an opportunity to take the knowledge of what I've just told you about and change things up. Work is work. It's always going to suck. It's just the way it is. However, I have chosen to take a step backward and take my life back. I'm glad it's only taken about a year to figure this out. Most poor people in my position either feel completely stuck or working is actually what they enjoy. For the latter, good for them. But for me, I have more important things to do. Things that matter. Like updating this blog after I've let all four of our listeners down repeatedly.

So here it is, Pals. My manifesto. I will be back to doing my duty for you. I have to. For me. I didn't plan to write any of this, actually...I was going to write a few smart-ass words as a kind of "fuck you" to Mocata and The Librarian for their jabs at me in email and texts, but then it just felt so damn good to spill my guts. Who knows, maybe this shit will help one of you one day. 

Anyway, with that being said, let's get back to distasteful jokes about Sharon Tate.

Here's the link to the last episode. Do your homework and tune in! 

Wellington.

No comments:

Post a Comment